SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Looking for Apple Watch band recommendations

• Looking for Apple Watch band recommendations

Posted by deann-r on September 22, 2023 at 9:00 am

For my birthday I got an Apple Watch. If I can figure out how to use it, I think I’ll like it. One more layer of added security.

The first thing that needs changing is the band. It’s impossible for me to use.

With so many options to pick from, is there an easier watch band style you’ve tried? I’m thinking maybe the metal magnetic slider one or the stretchy kinds. Hate having to purchase several in hopes one might work with my limited dexterity.

Are there any other “must-have” accessories? I found it comical that the fitness app suggested I push around my wheelchair after I selected that I use one. Electric wheelchairs weren’t an option.

Have you found any apps or functions useful to your well-being?

jeremy replied 6 months ago 3 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • jeremy

September 26, 2023 at 2:16 pm

I’ve heard from a lot of people the trail loop is the most comfortable and may be the easiest with the velcro fastening. I considered the trail loop but didn’t like the colors my cell provider offered so I went with the alpine loop instead.

• deann-r

September 27, 2023 at 10:12 am

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll have to check them out. Do you generally like the watch?

• jeremy

September 28, 2023 at 2:11 pm

Haven’t got it yet. 🙁

I ordered the new Ultra 2 and it’s on backorder with my cell provider, not expected for a few weeks. It’ll be my first smartwatch.

• deann-r

October 3, 2023 at 8:49 am

Oh the anticipation. Have fun with it when it arrives! Keep us posted on how you like it and if you discover any useful features.

• jeremy

October 19, 2023 at 1:41 pm

So… I found the alpine loop very uncomfortable. It’s rough/stiff with almost a sharp edge (as “sharp” as a nylon type material can be). I ordered a $12 trail loop knockoff (HITZEE brand) from Amazon and like it much better. Much softer and easy to get the tightness just right.

• deann-r

October 20, 2023 at 8:32 pm

Good to know. I’ve noticed that with a lot of products. Sometimes the “cheaper” versions are actually easier to work with. In general are you liking the watch?

• jeremy

October 23, 2023 at 2:23 pm

It’s a cool gadget, but I’m honestly not getting as much use out of it as I had hoped. I probably would have been better served (certainly much cheaper) with a phone mount, or a tablet and mount, for my chair and bed. It will be nice to have the option to leave my phone at home at least, but I don’t get out much.

• deann-r

October 24, 2023 at 8:02 pm

This comment actually makes me feel better about not loving mine. Is there anything in particular you’re dissatisfied with? I’m realizing now that I’m wearing long sleeves it’s harder to access than my phone. Bummer.

• jeremy

October 27, 2023 at 12:46 am

I think I’m just remembering why I never wore watches much. Even the most comfortable ones get on my nerves after half a day or so. I had planned to wear it all the time and basically replace my phone for most things. But my phone is already pretty convenient and doesn’t irritate my wrist after awhile. If I want to listen to an audio book or podcast I need to use bluetooth earbuds (which is great for public but not when alone)… I really do like it. Just not worth the cost for me and not as useful as I had hoped it could be.

• yuri

September 27, 2023 at 11:02 am

My only suggestion is to look at Aliexpress. Yes, I know 😁 However: for the price of one original Apple wristband I got 6 from Ali. Surprisingly, the quality is pretty good – of course, it’s not the Apple quality, but, considering the price, you can change wristbands virtually every day. I have not even tried them all, right now I’m using a magnetic “leather” band and it’s very comfortable and easy to put on. I also tried metal ones, they are beautiful. The downside: their delivery is slow (expect at least three weeks). The upside: you can choose the style from your own experience and, if you are not satisfied with the quality, get the original one of the same style. Again, they are dirt cheap.

• deann-r

October 3, 2023 at 8:54 am

Update: I decided to try the magnetic slider style from Amazon. Not perfect but I can use it independently and it was pretty inexpensive. Just couldn’t justify branded pricing to test out an Apple band.