SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Lung Function Tests and Spinal Brace

• Lung Function Tests and Spinal Brace

Posted by anna on January 10, 2023 at 5:41 am

Hey everyone. I have a question mostly for those of you wearing a spinal brace.

During my lung function testing, I am usually asked to take off the brace (except for a few times in the past when they let me leave it on). The problem with this method is that I am unable to sit independently, so what I do is have my caregiver hold me stable for at least a few seconds in order to perform the test. I’ve tried multiple times to explain to the hospital’s medical team that this position is so uncomfortable that I can hardly take a normal breath, let alone my deepest one, but they insist that if we did it any other way it would skew results. The thing is that the results will be somewhat inaccurate no matter how we do it, in which case wouldn’t it make more sense to try the unconventional methods too (i.e., with the brace on or lying on a bed without it) and see what works best?

In the end I always cave because they are the doctors after all, so they must be right. I just can’t help thinking that a disease as rare and complicated as mine requires a lot of outside-the-box thinking, which is a skill that unfortunately not all doctors possess.

Do you have any similar experience? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 3 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • jim-schneider

January 10, 2023 at 7:58 am

You know your body better than anyone and sometimes you have to MAKE them listen to you.

• micaela-macdougall

January 10, 2023 at 9:52 am

I’m sorry you’re dealing with this!  I don’t have a spinal brace, so I’m not sure how helpful I am.  But one idea that comes to mind is to offer to do the tests twice a few times, both their way and your way.  That would give them hard data that your way is actually better.  It would also create a transition period – in my mind, the numbers from those tests are useful because they establish what your baseline is, and doing it both ways would help everyone understand how the new method creates a new baseline that is actually equivalent to your old baseline.

• deann-r

January 10, 2023 at 11:11 am

Ah yes, the know-it-alls. I’m working on honing my skills dealing with them. Here’s what I’ve learned. First kindness is key. It’s hard for them to refuse someone they like. Second, acknowledge what they want then make what you want a statement rather than a question. Something like, “Usually you do it that way, but I’d like to leave my brace on for stability since I wear it most of the time anyway.” Third, even though I hate justifying my needs sometimes giving them the reason you want to do it that way helps. Lastly give them the satisfaction that if it doesn’t work your way you’ll try it their way. Oh and if you can find a way to stroke their ego or crack some jokes it might help. Good luck!

• deann-r

January 10, 2023 at 11:34 am

p.s. If you can get it approved to do it that way from a higher up they may be more willing to concede. So, I’d speak to my doctor, “I can leave my brace on for the breathing test, correct?” If they say yes tell the tech your doctor approved it.

• anna

January 11, 2023 at 3:07 am

Thank you all for your replies!! I would certainly be firmer if I was sure that my way is the right one, but there’s no way to confirm unless we try. I have repeatedly suggested that we try both ways and compare the results. Honestly, I don’t know if they object from a scientific standpoint or if they just can’t be bothered. And since it’s always the same procedure at the same place, inevitably, I have to deal with the same people every time!

As a last resort, I decided to contact the head of the department and managed to convince him to repeat the tests in three months with the brace on. He also suggested an arterial blood gas test to give us a better view given that the spirometry will be inaccurate no matter how we do it. Has anyone done this before?

• alyssa-silva

January 11, 2023 at 11:58 am

Hey Anna. I wear a spinal brace too. And like you I cannot sit up without it. I’m sorry you’re going through this. You’re absolutely right when you said SMA requires out-of-the-box thinking. My doctors say I’m an anomaly haha. I think you’re making the right decision in contacting the head of the department. I breathe much better laying down so my doctor lets me take the test in the same position.

• anna

January 12, 2023 at 4:03 am

Do you mean that you take the test lying on a bed without the brace? That would be ideal, but I suggested it once and they rolled their eyes! Glad to hear there are doctors who approve it.

• alyssa-silva

January 12, 2023 at 8:38 am

Yes, that’s correct. They’ve also done it in my wheelchair and let me keep my brace on. Hope you can figure out a better solution soon. ????