SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ Motivation Monday: Parenting With a Disability

• Motivation Monday: Parenting With a Disability

Posted by kevin-schaefer on November 11, 2019 at 11:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend.

For today’s Motivation Monday topic, check out this article from the MDA Quest magazine. The author is a woman with SMA, and a few years ago she and her husband adopted a child who also has SMA. She writes about the unique relationship she and her son have, and how others perceive it.

While this writer wasn’t worried about parenting a child with a disability, she still has to deal with stereotypes. This line really stuck out to me: “Ours is a story of love and adoption and beauty where others see tragedy.” It bugs me that people still have this backwards mindset. I’ve talked with parents who have SMA, and they say that dealing with these stigmas is the hardest part.

Personally, I’m not really planning on having kids, but I’m fascinated to read stories like this one. I love this writer’s perspective, and I think we can glean a lot about motivation from her story.

Do you have any takeaways from this story? Do any parents have any thoughts?

kevin-schaefer replied 4 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.