SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Motivation Monday: Taking Advantage of Opportunities

• Motivation Monday: Taking Advantage of Opportunities

Posted by kevin-schaefer on January 20, 2020 at 11:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend.

Ok, so the other night I watched the Jim Carrey/Zooey Deschanel rom-com Yes Man. In it, Carrey plays a depressed loans officer who can’t get over his ex-wife, and as such he’s extremely antisocial. Then one day, an old acquaintance drags him to a self-help seminar, in which the speaker’s philosophy is “say yes to everything.” You can imagine where the plot goes from there. It’s not great by any means, but it’s a fun Saturday night Netflix watch.

The movie does have a solid message though about stepping outside one’s comfort zone, and not clinging to the same routine. It’s certainly easy to do this, and taking risks can be hard. Still, I’ve found from experience that getting out and trying new things can be very rewarding. For instance, I’ve gone on several last-minute trips in the past few months for work. Though I had to rearrange my schedule and coordinate my care quickly, my efforts were well worth it. Had I not embraced this bit of spontaneity, I would have regrets.

Similarly, I decided to go out for an audition next week for a community theatre play. This isn’t exactly a new thing for me, as I grew up doing theatre, but it has been a while since I’ve acted. I focused on writing and journalism in college, and now I’m working in the biotech industry and still writing. Still, I’ve been meaning to get back into acting, and my former drama teacher is directing this show. It would have been easy to say no, but I would have regretted it.

What about you? Is there an opportunity you have that you feel drawn to? I’d love to hear!

alyssa-silva replied 4 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

January 20, 2020 at 1:24 pm

I currently don’t have any upcoming opportunities— that I can think of— but I totally get the importance of stepping outside of your comfort zone. Basically because I am so bad at it. 😬

I’m totally a creature of habit so when a new opportunity comes along I always meet it with hesitation. But I acknowledge that and am working on it! I haven’t seen Yes Man, but from what you wrote it sounds similar to Shonda Rimes book, “The Year of Yes” which I read and loved.