SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA People with Disabilities Want to Work

• People with Disabilities Want to Work

Posted by kevin-schaefer on May 29, 2018 at 11:12 am

Hey everyone, I just wanted to share my latest column with you all: https://smanewstoday.com/2018/05/29/sma-people-other-disabilities-want-work-let-us/

I posted last week about a college student with SMA at Georgetown University who had been offered a great summer internship, but wasn’t sure if she could accept it because it would interfere with her medical benefits. This article is a response to that story.

Here’s an excerpt: “Sadly, this kind of backward bureaucracy is a reality that far too many people with disabilities are familiar with, myself included. When I try to explain to people why I haven’t moved out of my parent’s house yet, I explain how the system works and how I’d be responsible for covering not only my living expenses but also the many hours of caregiving services that aren’t provided by the government.”

What do you all think? Have you encountered situations like this? Have you ever participated in any kind of disability activism?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.