SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do you see your suffering as an opportunity to grow?

• Do you see your suffering as an opportunity to grow?

Posted by sma-news-today-moderator on April 21, 2018 at 5:09 pm

“Even though life with SMA is hard, there is a silver lining. Our hardships afford us the opportunity to grow into people of great character, and therefore, to be an inspiration. That’s where I find my purpose. If I handle my adversity courageously, it can motivate others to face their own.” Ryan Berhar

Read what else Ryan has to say about this subject here: “Refined by Fire”

Do you share Ryan’s opinion? Do you consider yourself someone that grew with life’s difficulties?

kevin-schaefer replied 6 years ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • kelly-miller

April 24, 2018 at 2:39 pm

I have to say my 1st reaction to this quote was not a very positive one. Something about “and therefore, to be an inspiration” really rubs me the wrong way. While I can’t help if people see me as an inspiration, and I wouldn’t be angry at them for doing that, I definitely don’t want to get it in my head that being an inspiration has anything to do with my own purpose in life. I’m here to serve others but I don’t want that service to be an egotistical trip. When I start looking at it that way, I am heading for trouble.

Yes, I do agree that the suffering I experience (pain, loss of friends due to death, illnesses) because of my SMA builds my own personal character. My belief system is that of Christian and I know that God is always refining me, making me into more of what He intended me to be. It’s through trials & tribulations that I go through this refining process. I will never be perfect and God will not be finished with me until I meet with Him in Heaven. This is what comforts me whenever I’m having one of these experiences. But, I have to remember it’s all about Him and not me!

Interesting topic. Probably will start a serious debate. I guess in the end I agree with half of what Ryan says.

• kevin-schaefer

April 25, 2018 at 9:46 am

Thanks for sharing Kelly. Yeah I actually wrote a whole piece last year on the “you’re an inspiration” line: https://smanewstoday.com/2017/06/13/sma-i-hate-it-when-people-call-me-an-inspiration/?amp

I think what Ryan meant is that his trials and tribulations have helped build his character. I don’t think he’s trying to get at that every person in a wheelchair should just be an inspiration to able-bodied people, but that he’s encouraged when people are inspired by how he deals with hardships. It’s definitely an interesting conversation, and I appreciate you sharing your honest perspective.