SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Severe Weather Plans

• Severe Weather Plans

Posted by deann-r on June 11, 2018 at 11:03 am

As the rain is pouring down and thunder is rumbling it got me thinking.  First, should I even be on my computer?  Second where would I go and how would I get there if there was a weather emergency?  I live in a one level house, so they say an interior room with no windows.  Guess I’ll have to settle with my bathroom.  One exterior wall with no windows.  I can easily get there myself during daylight hours.  If it was at night, that’s a different story.  It would require the whole transfer process.  Storm would probably blow through by the time I’d get to the bathroom.  Think I’ll stay in bed and hope for the best.  Do you have emergency plans?

ryan-berhar-2 replied 5 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • ryan-berhar-2

June 11, 2018 at 3:07 pm

I live in Oregon, so I don’t have to worry about anything too severe. No tornadoes or hurricanes or anything. But I can imagine that being a concern for SMA folks in tornado alley. Install an elevator in your storm shelter. Haha

• deann-r

June 12, 2018 at 3:21 pm

Don’t hear Oregon in the news for weather related events. Do you get earthquakes?  How about wildfires? Still good to have an emergency plan!

Elevator is not a bad idea if it ran on a generator, lol. Otherwise you’d be stuck.

• ryan-berhar-2

June 12, 2018 at 6:14 pm

No earthquakes, but we do have some issues with fires on occasion.  Last summer we had a lot of fires in surrounding areas, so the air-quality was really bad. There wasn’t much we could  do about it except minimize time spent outside.

• adnan-hafizovic

June 12, 2018 at 1:11 pm

we usually in Bosnia built houses with at least two floor,my house has three floors so I m little secure and its on one hill.Deann is your house near river?If is then it is a little problem.Just don t be afraid,we never know where get started strong wind or flood.

• deann-r

June 12, 2018 at 3:17 pm

Luckily my house is not by a river.  I just have to worry if we get strong winds that would topple some big trees.  I’m glad to live far away from hurricanes and earthquakes.