This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 11 months ago by Kevin Schaefer.

• Author
      Kevin Schaefer
      Keymaster

First off, let me go ahead and say that I don’t want this post to discourage anyone from using a BiPAP. A BiPAP machine is a great tool for those of us with SMA, and it can really help us sleep better at night.

That said, skin irritation from wearing a BiPAP is something I’ve dealt with, as have many others. I much prefer the nasal mask that I use today over the larger ones that cover your entire face, but even then they can still cause problems. Sometimes, I wake up with my nose irritated from wearing the mask all night. Vaseline usually works for me, and sometimes I’ll give myself a break from wearing the BiPAP until the irritation goes away.

Does anyone here deal with this irritation? Do you have any tips?

Halsey Blocher
      Participant

Finding the right mask makes a huge difference! When I first got mine, my pulmonologist at the time recommended a mask that was not even close to the right size. We had to secure it so tightly to keep it from leaking that it caused a horrible pressure sore. Fortunately, there was a very good wound care clinic here that gave us some medicated gauze to help heal it. Eventually we found a comfortable gel nose mask with a forehead support, but it still never fully healed until I was trached since I wore a mask every night. I still have a scar from it. I also don’t want to discourage anyone – my situation is rare and extreme – but finding the right mask for you really is so important.

Kevin Schaefer
        Keymaster

Thanks Halsey! That’s great advice.

Yeah the nasal mask works really well for me, but I still have to get it in just the right position for it to be comfortable. If it’s tight, it puts pressure on my nose or ears, and then I have to wait for those sores to heal.

I’m a strong advocate for the BiPAP, but it does take some effort to get used to, and to find the right mask.

David Z
      Participant

Finding the right mask is key. And don’t be afraid to use different headgear than what comes with your mask.

Also, I haven’t tried this, but it looks interesting: https://bleepsleep.com/

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2021 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2021 All rights reserved.