SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Skin Irritation From Wearing a BiPAP Machine

• Skin Irritation From Wearing a BiPAP Machine

Posted by kevin-schaefer on March 8, 2019 at 7:00 am

First off, let me go ahead and say that I don’t want this post to discourage anyone from using a BiPAP. A BiPAP machine is a great tool for those of us with SMA, and it can really help us sleep better at night.

That said, skin irritation from wearing a BiPAP is something I’ve dealt with, as have many others. I much prefer the nasal mask that I use today over the larger ones that cover your entire face, but even then they can still cause problems. Sometimes, I wake up with my nose irritated from wearing the mask all night. Vaseline usually works for me, and sometimes I’ll give myself a break from wearing the BiPAP until the irritation goes away.

Does anyone here deal with this irritation? Do you have any tips?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • halsey-blocher

March 8, 2019 at 8:56 pm

Finding the right mask makes a huge difference! When I first got mine, my pulmonologist at the time recommended a mask that was not even close to the right size. We had to secure it so tightly to keep it from leaking that it caused a horrible pressure sore. Fortunately, there was a very good wound care clinic here that gave us some medicated gauze to help heal it. Eventually we found a comfortable gel nose mask with a forehead support, but it still never fully healed until I was trached since I wore a mask every night. I still have a scar from it. I also don’t want to discourage anyone – my situation is rare and extreme – but finding the right mask for you really is so important.

• kevin-schaefer

March 10, 2019 at 2:02 pm

Thanks Halsey! That’s great advice.

Yeah the nasal mask works really well for me, but I still have to get it in just the right position for it to be comfortable. If it’s tight, it puts pressure on my nose or ears, and then I have to wait for those sores to heal.

I’m a strong advocate for the BiPAP, but it does take some effort to get used to, and to find the right mask.

• david-z

March 11, 2019 at 9:06 am

Finding the right mask is key. And don’t be afraid to use different headgear than what comes with your mask.

Also, I haven’t tried this, but it looks interesting: https://bleepsleep.com/

• kevin-schaefer

March 11, 2019 at 11:40 am

I’ll check it out. Thanks!