• Social Anxiety

Posted by alyssa-silva on July 7, 2021 at 11:00 am

How’s everyone doing now that we’re well into a world where restrictions are easing up?

I longed for this day for so long, but it is nothing like I thought it’d be, to be completely honest. I thought I’d be much happier and relieved. Instead, I find myself having social anxiety in small groups— even if it’s around family or close friends I’ve missed so much.

I’m not worried about catching Covid as I’m still playing it safe, but I think I’m just getting overwhelmed and overstimulated after being in isolation for so dang long. I’ve never dealt with this before, so I don’t exactly know how to cope.

All this to say if you’re struggling with how you thought things would be right now versus how they actually are, you’re not alone.

losmi replied 2 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • losmi

July 9, 2021 at 4:24 pm

So if you are not worried about Covid, what is actually happening?

I don’t have anxiety but every contact definitely affects me more. Like if I go to the office and have just some little chit-chat I can think about that for the rest of the day. What did I say, how did I say it, what was my body language – and the same thing for persons I was interacting with. I have completely grown out of face to face live interaction, so every time it happens it is something I can ponder about for days 😀

Also, I tend to say much more than I planned and maybe even a bit more personal things than I wanted. I literally lost some of the skills, it is so funny 😀

So I would not say it is anxiety, as you said I am still entering only in contacts that I hope are more less safe so I can really concentrate on interacting with people, but it definitely feels weirder than pre-Covid 🙂