SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Successful Independent Shopping Trip

• Successful Independent Shopping Trip

Posted by deann-r on January 18, 2019 at 3:55 pm

As I mentioned before I was planning on having my Mom drop me at a larger shopping mall while she had an appointment.  Many of you probably do things like this all the time, but I’m usually an online shopper.  Although I shop alone on occasion this was for a longer span and in an unfamiliar location.  I did a couple things to prepare. First thing was using double stick tape to attach a piece of dycem (I think that’s what it’s called) to the back of my phone.  That way it was less likely to slip out of reach.  I know they make phone holders, but sometimes I find them too restrictive.  The other thing I did was make sure my card was strategically placed so if I needed assistance it would be easy to access.

It was a really pleasant trip.  Store workers were more than willing to hold up something if I asked, and helped me check out.  The only thing I didn’t dare do was stop at Caribou.  I just knew I wouldn’t be able to get my beverage to the spot I’d be meeting my Mom and didn’t have the nerve to ask anyone to carry it for me.

Are there things you do to make excursions easier?  Do you seek out assistance or wait for someone to approach you?

deann-r replied 5 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • kelly-miller

January 20, 2019 at 1:24 pm

Deann, I know that made you feel really good to go out by yourself! Sometimes doing little trips like that can remind us that we are capable of being as independent as the next guy.

I used to go out a lot more than I do now. With online shopping, it just seems so much easier to stay home and order what I want from wherever I want. I wasn’t ever able to try clothes on at the store anyway, so I might as well get them in the mail. I’ve also discovered with my old age that I’m just not into crowds the way I used to be.

I thought of something for you tho. Have you thought about getting a cup holder on your chair? I have one just behind my armrest. It won’t work for me to drink from, but you could use it to ask the barista to put your drink in it & then you wouldn’t have any problem carrying it to your mom. Whatever beverage you have won’t spill out, especially if it has a top on it. Just a thought.

• deann-r

January 21, 2019 at 11:15 am

Cup holder is a great idea Kelly!  I actually do have a removable one, but I never think to grab it.  Is there a certain style or brand that works for you?

So funny you mention not being able to try on clothes.  Same here.  Usually I guess on size, and it just so happens one of the tops I bought doesn’t fit like I had hoped.  I might be able to modify it, so it won’t be a total waste.

Crowds aren’t my thing either.  Thankfully this excursion was during a weekday, so my main competition was clusters of mom’s with strollers doing their laps.  I only did an about face in two stores.  One because a lady was hacking, and one because the store was crammed full of stuff I would never have gotten through.  And yes I thoroughly hand sanitized when I got home.