SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Raising Awareness of SMA The 2018 Cure SMA Conference: Getting There

• The 2018 Cure SMA Conference: Getting There

Posted by kevin-schaefer on June 11, 2018 at 6:00 pm

I’m on my way to the 2018 Cure SMA conference, and I just wanted to use the forums here to track my journey. The conference this year is in Dallas, Texas, and my family and I are driving there from North Carolina. Needless to say it’s an exhausting trip to get there, but so far it’s going well.

We left super early this morning and are currently stopping in Nashville, Tennessee. Some family friends live here, and we’re meeting them for dinner tonight. We also stopped by Cracker Barrel for breakfast this morning, and in-between we’ve just been snacking in the car and at our hotel.

The big thing I wanted to point out is that the hotel we’re currently in is extremely accessible, and our room has plenty of space. As many SMA folks know, hotel rooms can be tricky, even if they’re accessible. The Embassy Suites here is fantastic, and I’ve attached a few pics here which my Dad took.

Notice how much space there is to transfer me to the bed and the bathroom. This is huge, as I’m kind of used to hotel rooms being pretty crammed. Just seeing this room gave my parents and I a huge sense of relief. It will make showering and getting to bed later so much easier. When we were in New York a couple months ago, I barely had any space in our room to maneuver my chair.

Tomorrow we head to Dallas, and my caregiver is meeting us there. The conference starts on Thursday, and on Wednesday I’ll be taking part in a Biogen meeting that I was invited to. I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to share about that, but it should be interesting. I’ll post another update once we make it to Dallas, and I look forward to seeing people at the conference. Let me know if you’re going!

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • deann-r

June 12, 2018 at 4:19 pm

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Do you scout out specific hotel chains or do you take your chances? Love Cracker Barrel!</p>

• kevin-schaefer

June 12, 2018 at 10:48 pm

My Mom handles all the pre-planning and organization when it comes to vacations, so we always know where we’re staying. In my experience, Embassy Suites and Westin are the best chains to work with. I use Westin for a Comicon that I go to with friends every summer. The one we’re at now for the conference is great too. It’s a Hilton.

• deann-r

June 13, 2018 at 12:25 pm

I always have trouble with the bed being blocked underneath so we can’t get a Hoyer under them.

• kevin-schaefer

June 19, 2018 at 3:25 pm

I hear you there. Fortunately my caregiver and my Dad just lift me, but when we do have to use a hoyer lift it’s tricky. Still, space in a hotel room helps tremendously.