SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Water Bottle Woes

• Water Bottle Woes

Posted by deann-r on July 23, 2018 at 5:07 pm

Trying to be eco-friendly I purchased one of those insulated water bottles with the flip up straws.  I liked how tall it was and figured it would fit a whole bottle of my favorite flavored water while keeping it cold all afternoon.  There’s a few things to consider if you decide to give one a try. First, they’re substantially heavier than I anticipated, so I have to have it placed where it’s going to be where I can reach the straw without lifting it.  Second the straw needs to be popped all the way up to be used.  Since I can’t do that myself I have to make sure my PCA’s do that before they leave.  Today it’s about 1/8 inch off, so it’s like I’m sucking through a straw with a hole in it.  Third make sure it has a straw if you need one.  Many styles I looked at didn’t so you’d have to tip them up to drink from them.  All I can say is that I hope a saved a sea turtle because it almost more hassle than it’s worth.  Any suggestions on a good brand or style with less headaches in using?

deann-r replied 5 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • ryan-berhar-2

July 23, 2018 at 7:05 pm

I have never been able to use water bottles because I can’t lift them, and if someone tries to assist me, it’ll just spill everywhere. This is something that the robotic arm will do for me. I’m super excited about that.

• kevin-schaefer

July 24, 2018 at 9:44 am

Same. Before I acquired my JACO robotic arm, I couldn’t use a bottle. With the arm however, it’s incredibly easy to use bottles and cans to drink. Bottles are just kind of a pain without a piece of equipment like the JACO arm.

• lydia-fecteau

August 7, 2018 at 10:01 am

I have been using Fleximug’s hand’s free drinking mug. This is a wonderful product, which I highly recommend. https://www.amazon.com/Fleximug-Hands-Free-Drinking-Mug/dp/B01735UMAW/ref=lp_13495396011_1_2_a_it?srs=13495396011&ie=UTF8&qid=1533653926&sr=8-2&th=1

• kevin-schaefer

August 7, 2018 at 10:33 am

Thanks for the recommendation Lydia!

• deann-r

August 7, 2018 at 12:17 pm

That does look pretty cool!  Is it easy to clean?

• lydia-fecteau

August 7, 2018 at 2:19 pm

It is very easy to clean. The straws come apart and there’s a little brush included that clean them. Thermos itself can be put in the dishwasher.

• deann-r

August 7, 2018 at 3:44 pm

Awesome! Thanks. Might be on my Christmas list, although my Birthday is closer…