SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA What’s your favorite Christmas movie?

• What’s your favorite Christmas movie?

Posted by alyssa-silva on November 27, 2023 at 10:32 am

Like I said in my last post, I love Christmas. The music, the decor, and the joy the season brings warm my heart. I also love watching as many Christmas movies as I can. The cold does my body no good, so my idea of holiday festivities usually involves a couch and a blanket with my Christmas tree as my only source of light. 😂 

What’s your favorite Christmas movie? 

I try to watch as many as possible. Mine’s probably a toss-up between “It’s a Wonderful Life” or “Home Alone.” I have yet to see “White Christmas,” but I hear that’s another great classic too.

alyssa-silva replied 4 months, 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • micaela-macdougall

November 27, 2023 at 12:42 pm

I am also a huge fan of Christmas! The first Christmas of the pandemic, my mom and I had a two day extravaganza of baking cookies and watching movies. We loved the Grinch and Charlie Brown, but the Rankin & Bass specials are weird! I swear whoever wrote Rudolph was high. And the trauma of the Little Drummer Boy… Hey kids, want to hear a story about a boy whose parents are killed in front of him the same night his house burns down? Then he gets enslaved by marauders who sell his camel, and his lamb gets hit by a chariot. Merry Christmas! Yeah, I really had to cheer myself up with Elf after that.

• deann-r

November 28, 2023 at 9:53 am

Sounds like fun! Any stand out recipes?

Love your movie reviews. Nothing like a twisted storyline to get you in the spirit. I prefer a little more lighthearted like The Holiday.

• alyssa-silva

November 29, 2023 at 8:27 pm

So I do like Rudolph. When my parents first started dating, my mom invited my dad over to her house for the first time to watch it and made him chocolate chip cookies. 40+ years later, we’re keeping the tradition going. But The Little Drummer Boy… I am cracking up at your response. 😂 That is hilarious and so true. Do you like Santa Claus Is Coming to Town? That’s the only other claymation I can think of at the moment lol.

• micaela-macdougall

December 4, 2023 at 4:27 pm

I don’t really know Santa Claus Is Coming to Town, but I do like laughing at A Year Without a Santa Claus. Especially since my uncle looks like the Heat Miser. 😆

• deann-r

November 28, 2023 at 9:45 am

What’s your decorating style? White lights or color? Blinking or solid? I always like seeing what people are going for.

Christmas is kind of tough for me. Among other reasons I’m usually trying to fend off sickness and stay warm. As I’m typing my pca just texted that called out yesterday. Her fever broke but she has a scratchy throat. Ugh.

I do usually catch a Hallmark movie or two when I’m at Mom’s though. It’s not a Hallmark but last weekend we watched ‘Genie’ with Melissa McCarthy. Cute. I could pick it apart but if you’re just looking for something entertaining to watch it fits the bill.

• alyssa-silva

November 29, 2023 at 8:39 pm

Oh my mom just told me this morning she wants to watch that movie! Glad to hear it’s cute. We watch a lot of Hallmark movies too. They’re great to fall asleep to since they’re all cheesy and predictable.

Tough question you’ve asked. I think I like the aesthetic and uniformity of white lights. However, I also love the big multicolored bulbs. I don’t even think they sell them anymore but they make me feel nostalgic. My dad is really into Christmas lights. We’re THAT house every year that you drive by when you want to look at lights lol. Pretty sure you can see us from space. What about you– what do you like better?

Really stinks about all the illnesses going around though. It definitely puts a damper on the season. I hope everything works out for you and that you stay healthy.

• patrick-lenihan

December 12, 2023 at 10:26 pm

I start every holiday season watching Miracle on 34th Street (1947 version). I then watch Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town, The Year Without a Santa Claus (1974 version ), Rudolf The Red Nosed Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol, A Charlie Brown Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966 version), The Jack Benny Hour 1965 Christmas episode, Scrooged, It’s a Wonderful Life, A Black Adder’s Christmas Carol, and Beavis and Butt-Head Do Christmas. I watch those before Christmas Eve. I save my three all time favorites for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day: those being White Christmas, A Christmas Story, and the 1951 version of Scrooge/A Christmas Carol starring Alastair Sim.

• alyssa-silva

December 14, 2023 at 9:45 am

I love how you have a whole lineup. Usually I just wing it. My mom and I always watch the newer version of Miracle On 34th Street together. I’ve always wanted to see the original version though. Is it available to stream? White Christmas is another classic I haven’t seen yet. I’m slacking on my movie-watching this year too. I better get on it!