SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Working With a New Caregiver

• Working With a New Caregiver

Posted by ryan-berhar-2 on December 18, 2018 at 8:15 pm

So I’m slowly but surely working towards acquiring new caregivers. Today I worked with a new guy for about three hours, and trained him to do a few relatively basic tasks. His family and mine have a long-time connection through church, so he’s not a random guy off the street, but I don’t know him at all either. He’s a year younger than me and goes to college in another state. He’s just home for the holidays and looking for work, so this is a very temporary situation. My grandma and I just thought it was a good opportunity to sort of test the waters. Things are going well so far. I’ll keep everyone updated.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

December 19, 2018 at 12:01 pm

It’s good to at least practice giving instructions even if it’s not a long term arrangement.  Then for the next one it’ll be even easier.

• kevin-schaefer

December 19, 2018 at 12:09 pm

I agree with DeAnn. It’s great that you’re taking this step. And maybe this person will be available again the next time he’s in town. Keep your options open, and let us know if you have any questions.