SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA My Weekly Journal – 10/22 Through 10/28

• My Weekly Journal – 10/22 Through 10/28

Posted by michael-morale on October 28, 2018 at 12:53 pm
    Monday, October 22, Through Sunday, October 28 – Finally, after nearly 3 weeks of rain, we actually saw the sun for the first time in quite a while. The only day that it rained this week was on Wednesday, and while the majority of the days were cloudy, there was enough sun to start drying out my yard and flower beds. I felt extraordinarily strong this week and my energy level was through the roof. I don’t know if I’m anxious about getting my next injection into weeks, or if this is just pent up energy that’s been building in my body since the rain started back toward the beginning of the month.

I usually go for my workouts on Thursday, but last week, Laura asked me if I would come in on Friday because she and her staff were going to be dressed up for Halloween. When I went in for my workout on Friday, Laura was dressed up as Maleficent from the Disney movie Sleeping Beauty. Laura’s physical therapy assistant Emily, was dressed up as Scar from The Lion King. As you can see in the picture just to the left of my journal, my workout on Friday was a little freaky. When I got there, Laura had to perform her four-week reevaluation on me. This reevaluation involves taking multiple measurements while I do certain exercises so that she can determine whether my strength level has increased or decreased, and she can also tell if my range of motion has improved. This reevaluation normally takes about 30 or 40 minutes, so by the time we finished, we only had time to do a few of my core exercises. We worked on my abdominals and we also worked on my neck muscles. Beginning next week, Laura will transfer me out of my wheelchair back to the therapy table and we will resume our normal exercises. Along with the stretching exercises that we do for my quadriceps, hamstrings and the muscles in my calves, we will also resume the flexing exercises in my feet and toes. Laura said that she was also going to start working to improve my range of motion when I look to my left and to my right. She wants me to lay flat on my back and she will manipulate my neck to stretch these muscles so that I can improve my range of motion when I looked from side to side. Laura did mention that the swelling in my feet and my ankles had gone down considerably over the last couple of weeks, so we are both hoping that the swelling will continue to go down, which should make next week’s exercises much more tolerable for me.

In this week’s video, I discuss how my workout went this past week, and I also give my tips and tricks on what to do before you go in for one of your procedures. This week when I went to workout with Laura, we spent the majority of the day doing my reevaluation. Since this took the majority of the time for my workout, we only had time to do a few core exercises. Laura and her staff were all dressed up for Halloween and my work out definitely had a spooky feeling. My tips and tricks that I give before going in for one of your procedures will hopefully make this easier and less stressful for you. While these tips and tricks are my own, I believe everyone could do what I’m doing, which will help you avoid getting sick before going in for one of your injections. Click HERE to view my video.

Please checkout my Instagram site for new pictures. Click HERE to view my Instagram site.

I hope that all of you have had a fantastic week and I hope that you do something for yourself this upcoming week that will make you a better person. God bless you, and I’ll see you next Sunday.
    michael-morale replied 5 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.