SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Caring for NJ Tubes

• Caring for NJ Tubes

Posted by alyssa-silva on March 7, 2022 at 4:40 pm

For anyone that has had experience with an NJ tube, do you have any hacks or tricks for keeping it unclogged or unclogging a clog? They used a 6 French tube on me, so because of how skinny it is, I hear they don’t last too long. I got mine placed around 5 weeks ago, and it was a pretty traumatic experience for me because of my severe scoliosis. I ended up aspirating and getting pneumonia. Because my tube is only temporary, I’m hoping to do everything I can to avoid getting another, but I think the odds may be stacked against me.

alyssa-silva replied 2 years, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

March 8, 2022 at 8:57 am

The only thing I know of to clear a clog is shooting some Coca-Cola through it. Not sure it’d be advisable with your sensitive system though. I’m sorry it’s been such an ordeal. In the long run is it accomplishing what it’s intended for?

• alyssa-silva

March 10, 2022 at 9:35 am

Similar to Coca-Cola, I’ve done a couple of ginger ale and cran flushes when things got sluggish, and it worked beautifully. However, everywhere I’ve read online said to absolutely not do that haha. But I was told by a nurse that while it’s not something I should do frequently or encouraged by doctors, she swears by it in cases of emergencies. Glad to get a second opinion on it. ????

The tube is definitely doing what it’s intended for which is why I want to take good care of it for as long as possible. Definitely seeing results in terms of nutrition and weight.