SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA — A Mother’s Perspective

• 31 Days of SMA — A Mother’s Perspective

Posted by alyssa-silva on August 27, 2021 at 4:53 pm

Receiving an SMA diagnosis for her 16-month-old while 8 months pregnant with her second child wasn’t exactly what Rachel envisioned her life to be like. The unexpected news weighed heavily on her mental health (and ultimately affected her parenting) until she recently reached her breaking point.

Rachel explains her behavior as unacceptable and an example she didn’t want to set for her son. So, she made a change and vowed to spend 30 minutes on herself each day.

In doing so, Rachel is in a better place— both physically and mentally— to take care of her children. By taking care of herself, she is able to be a better mom to her two kids.

Although I’m not a caretaker, I understand the importance of taking care of yourself first so you can better serve others. Rachel’s story really resonated with me as I’m always encouraging my mom, my main caretaker, to put her needs first. It’s something she doesn’t do enough. What did you think of Rachel’s story?

alyssa-silva replied 2 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.