SMA News Forums Forums SMA News Today Multimedia SMA News Today’s YouTube Accessible Van Conversion Options

• alyssa-silva

May 25, 2021 at 8:59 am

Great job with this video DeAnn! To answer your question, yes you can add the EZLock or QStraint after the fact. I did it when I got my van a few years ago— it originally had the traditional straps (I forget its name.) And I did it again last year when I got my new chair and had to match it up to the mechanism in my van.

On a completely unrelated note, I am SO impressed (and a little jealous) by your nail polish collection!

• deann-r

May 25, 2021 at 10:02 am

More like my nail polish obsession!  It is nice to finally be able to see what I’ve got.

Another question for you, maybe two.  How do you unlock from the system?  I was vaguely aware of this type of system but had never seen it up close until you showed us.  Thanks again for participating in the video!  Curious about the cost of the locking system too if you’d feel comfortable discussing it.  I’m sure it varies depending on where you have it done but it’d be nice to have a number before I look into it deeper.

• tammy

May 29, 2021 at 1:04 pm

She is right, you wouldn’t be able to reach the unlock switch from your side. However you could possibly ask them to put the unlock button closer to you. There is also an emergency unlock lever directly on the floor lock system itself. In case the button fails. Which has happened to me a few times. Usually it’s just because a wiring somehow got disconnected or loosened. Typically always an easy fix. As far as pricing, I don’t remember exactly but if I were to make a ballpark guess I would say that the floor lock was about 700 something and the latch/bolt that has to be put under your chair is like another 1 or 2 hundred. Crazy price for a very small piece of metal going on your chair.

• alyssa-silva

May 26, 2021 at 8:32 am

To unlock, you just push a button. Usually, the button is by the steering wheel but there is also one in the back of my van. Either way though, you wouldn’t be able to reach it from where the wheelchair is secured in the van. I’m actually not entirely sure on the cost because my van was actually a surprise gift from a friend (it’s been 3 years, and I’m still in shock), but my guess is several hundreds between the cost of the actual product and installation.

• mike-huddleston

May 31, 2021 at 11:36 am

Hey DeAnn –

I have an EZ Lock system in my van in the driver’s position as I drive using hand controls from my chair.  The button to unlock mine is on the dashboard, just past the handcontrols.  Adding after the fact is not an issue.  As far as the cost, it should be in the $1200 range or so installed.  Mine was just over $1000 back in 2015 when I first bought an accessible van, and at the end of 2020, I had to get a replacement locking mechanism since I got a new chair (originally a Quantum and now Permobil).  There is also a manual override lock release on the locking mechanism itself that would require someone else to engage that as I am unable to reach under my chair while in it. Hope this helps some.