SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Are you ever used as a scape goat?

• Are you ever used as a scape goat?

Posted by deann-r on June 14, 2018 at 6:16 pm

Just curious do you have family/friends who use you and your disability to get out of doing something they don’t necessarily want to do?  For example I have a relative who was invited to a grad party.  She didn’t really want to go, so used the excuse, DeAnn’s here this weekend, to get out of it.  It’s not a big deal, but can be annoying.  Anyone else experience this?  What’s your reaction?

michael-morale replied 5 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

June 19, 2018 at 10:19 am

When I was a kid my parents used me to cut in line at the Haunted Mansion in Disney World lol.  I was mad at the time because I was a chicken on most rides,  but really I’d have done the same thing.

I can‘t think of a situation like the one you describe here,  and I do think it’s a crappy thing to use you like that. I’d encourage you to talk about this with your friend, just so that it doesn’t happen again.

• ryan-berhar-2

June 19, 2018 at 3:57 pm

I haven’t dealt with that. That’s kinda low.

• deann-r

June 19, 2018 at 7:26 pm

I thought this would be more common.

• adnan-hafizovic

June 20, 2018 at 6:21 am

well I have similar experience like you DeAnn.I had a friend who was younger then me and he want to go with me everywhere where I go.But when he, how to say get older and find new friends ,he simply forgot on me.That little hurt me because I lead him in my fellowship ,at party where I was inivited.And after that he doesn t need me.

• kevin-schaefer

June 20, 2018 at 10:26 am

I think everyone deals with being treated poorly at some point. DeAnn, I think situations like this reveal who your actual friends are. Again, I’d encourage you to talk about your frustrations here with your friend, but if they are unapologetic or brush it off then it’s a problem. People like that aren’t worth the effort of being friends with, in my opinion.

• deann-r

June 21, 2018 at 8:42 am

I think it’s easy to just kind of “go with the flow” and not make waves.  As I think Kevin and  Adnan are saying friendships should go both ways.

• michael-morale

June 26, 2018 at 8:11 am

I’m not necessarily sure that I would call myself a scapegoat, but I do know that when I used to drive my own van, my friends would drive with me because I always got the best parking spots.