• Being Spontaneous

Posted by deann-r on March 6, 2020 at 10:30 am

Spontaneity is hard for me.  Not only because I can’t drive, but I also have scheduled caregivers to think about.  I envy those who can just jump in the car when they hear about a sale.  Or be able to grab lunch when they see an enticing commercial.  Although it’s still difficult I’m trying to be more spontaneous.  Even if it takes a little planning.

Our local movie theater has $5 ticket Tuesdays.  Wanting to take advantage of that deal I asked Mom on Monday if she wanted to go the next day.  She said sure, so I had to pick a showtime that correlated with my PCA schedule.  It worked out and we had fun, so we’ll probably do that more often.

For about a month Olive Garden was running the yummiest looking commercials.  Pasta is something I cheat with, so I was just waiting for the opportunity.  Since it’s about an hour away I had to bide my time.  When the opportunity presented itself I jumped on it.  Of course the specific promotion I saw was over, but hey I got the pasta and it was delicious.

Do you have any tips on living more spontaneously?  What’s the most spontaneous thing you’ve ever done?  I need some inspiration.

halsey-blocher replied 4 years ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

March 6, 2020 at 4:36 pm

Spontaneity is challenging for me too. But with so much of my life planned out (having my days revolve around caregiving schedules, appointments, needing to know ahead if places are accessible, etc.), I balance it out by winging it every now and then. 🙂 Sometimes, whether with a friend or caregiver, we’ll just aimlessly drive. And at random times I’ll burst out “LEFT!” and “now go right!” until we’re lost and somewhere new. It can be fun.

The most spontaneous thing I ever did was drive across several states to Maine for the day with friends. It was about 3 hours away, and we went without an agenda. It was a great time. Spontaneity can be good for the soul.

• halsey-blocher

March 6, 2020 at 8:56 pm

Being spontaneous is hard for me as well, but it is so much fun! There’s a Starbucks down the road from my house, and sometimes I’ll randomly decide to walk there and sit on the patio with my drink for a bit. Or sometimes on the weekend, my mom and I will decide to go do a bit of shopping. Usually, that’s about as spontaneous as I get.