• Sponsored Post

Planes, Trains, & Accessible Travel With SMA

Talk to your doctor to determine if you or your child is fit to travel.

Traveling with a child is never easy. Traveling with a child in a wheelchair is an extra challenge. The first time Leah flew on an airplane, she was six months old, almost a year before she was diagnosed. We have always been a traveling family and once she was diagnosed, we were both hopeful and determined that it wouldn’t hold us back.

I have always flown with Leah by myself, just the two of us. Call me crazy; it’s OK, I am. There are some things we have learned that have made it so much easier for us.

• This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Kevin Schaefer 4 weeks ago.

• Author
       Kevin Schaefer 
      Keymaster

Happy Thursday everyone!

Check out Michael’s latest column here: https://smanewstoday.com/2019/04/17/full-time-caregiving-taxing/.

Michael does a great job here articulating just how many responsibilities that SMA parents and caregivers have. As someone who has SMA, I commend each of you for all of the things you do and sacrifice on a daily basis. I hope this post is cathartic for you all, and that it helps people better empathize with you.

Can you relate to Michael? Do you have any strategies you use for dealing with caregiver-related stress?

Krystal 
      Participant

I agree with this post. It’s hard. SMA sucks, despite the great treatments out there. No matter what, my child still has SMA, and will forever have it. We have been told over and over, “If you don’t use it, you lose it,” and I feel like this is correct even with treatment. Because of this phrase, it’s been hard trying to balance letting my child be a baby, and ensuring she gets what she needs for the day in regards to exercises, appropriate rest, and adequate nutrition. My husband and I both work full-time jobs and we do not work from home, so that adds on to the stress of trying to find someone who can care for my daughter appropriately.

Not to mention I also have a newborn in addition to all this… I’m so tired haha!!

Kevin Schaefer 
        Keymaster

It’s very overwhelming, especially early on. Feel free to vent anytime. We’re here to support you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Videos

• ©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.