SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About Finding Silver Linings

• Columnist Writes About Finding Silver Linings

Posted by alyssa-silva on October 5, 2020 at 7:00 am

Hi all! My latest column is all about looking for all the little silver linings in the everyday. I’ll admit that it isn’t easy during times like these, but if there’s anything I’ve learned from past SMA challenges, it’s that there is always joy to be found amid the pain. And that joy is the very thing that will pull you through.

Do you find yourself searching for those small joys lately? What helps you stay afloat?

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ari-anderson

October 7, 2020 at 11:21 am

That was a great column Alyssa! I can definitely relate to how bleak things can get when you get sick. I had the flu too. It was last year in 2019 and it basically took me at least 3 and a half months to recover.

As depressed as I have been in 2020, I have had one Silver Lining that makes me forget all the bad stuff when I think about. While so many people with or without SMA have been so incredibly sick with Covid and other respiratory issues, for some miracle I have been healthy! In fact, I have not been sick at all since January 2020!

Probably most people with SMA realize that going 9 months without having any respiratory issues is quite an accomplishment, especially with a huge pandemic out there. That doesn’t mean I’ve been unscathed. I’ve had plenty of catastrophes in my personal life this year, but at least I have that thank God!

• alyssa-silva

October 9, 2020 at 10:17 am

Ari! That’s an incredible accomplishment. I love those moments where it may not seem like much to others, but those seemingly small wins are what make all the difference in our lives. You are not alone in your feelings about 2020, but at least we have these simple moments to keep us pressing forward.