SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About Staging a Detention in Middle School

• Columnist Writes About Staging a Detention in Middle School

Posted by alyssa-silva on April 19, 2021 at 11:06 am

I have to admit I had fun writing my latest column. It’s hard to believe, but in all my years spent as a student, I was the only kid in a wheelchair. And, I often found that many teachers perceived me as this innocent, can-do-no-wrong student because I was disabled, a common misconception I have seen throughout my lifetime.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I was a well-behaved kid growing up. But I also wasn’t perfect or needed to be treated delicately. When I entered 8th grade, my English teacher quickly saw me for who I really am and treated me with the same respect she gave her other students. Since we both have goofy personalities, we decided to prank the students and teachers one day and stage a detention. We wanted to show the school “a different side” of me they never thought I had.

Needless to say, we executed our plan flawlessly. I’ll let you read about it here.

deann-r replied 2 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • deann-r

April 21, 2021 at 9:35 am

Too funny. I was too much of a goody two shoes to even fathom pulling off something like this.