SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About the Bittersweet Feeling of Autumn

• Columnist Writes About the Bittersweet Feeling of Autumn

Posted by alyssa-silva on November 4, 2019 at 11:53 am

Happy Monday, everyone! Here’s to a new week.

In case you missed it, here’s my latest column where I discuss the bittersweet feeling of autumn. I’m a sucker for everything this season brings— including the brisk weather— so it would be remiss of me to not acknowledge that.

However, autumn means winter is around the corner. Which means cold and flu season is ready to rear its ugly head. Which means it’s almost time for me to essentially hibernate in my home. Can you see how this time of year is bittersweet for me???

I’ve been really trying to soak in these last few weeks of “freedom,” and it got me thinking: am I the only one who feels this way? Does autumn bring these same bittersweet feelings for you, too?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • halsey-blocher

November 4, 2019 at 9:14 pm

This time of year definitely causes some mixed emotions for me. On one hand, I love the beautiful fall colors, and I’m becoming eager for the approaching holidays. On the other hand, my body reacts pretty poorly to the cooler temperatures, and I’m dreading the possibility of having to miss out on things because sicknesses that get passed around. I try to stay focused on the positives though.

• alyssa-silva

November 5, 2019 at 3:20 pm

I totally feel you on this. There have even been some Christmases I’ve had to skip out on because family members were sick. Hope you stay healthy this cold and flu season, Halsey!

• halsey-blocher

November 5, 2019 at 9:42 pm

That would be terrible! We almost always host Christmas, and no one is allowed to come if they are sick. They get their gifts later. Unfortunately there are sometimes people who come anyway, but we let them stay as long as it’s not too bad and they keep their distance. I hope you stay healthy as well! Flu season is always a little scary, so fingers crossed!