SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research Spinraza (nusinersen) Comparing Fatigue Before and After Spinraza

• Comparing Fatigue Before and After Spinraza

Posted by kevin-schaefer on July 9, 2018 at 9:00 pm

Generally speaking, my energy levels have improved significantly since I started receiving Spinraza. I’m not immune to fatigue of course, but it does pale in comparison now to what it was before I started the treatment. I used to be exhausted by mid-afternoon or so.

By the end of the week I’m usually pretty beat, but for the most part I don’t feel exhausted in the middle of the day like I used to. I’ll rest in my chair if I need to, but I can typically go a full work day feeling fine. I also drink a fair amount of soda, and the caffeine helps me.

What about you all? For those who are on Spinraza, have your energy levels improved? Do you still experience fatigue often? How often do you try to take naps and such?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • alex-telenson

July 10, 2018 at 1:31 pm

First time posting, long time reader. These forums are great! For sure keep em’ coming (I’ll try and be more active).

The improvement in the time it takes to fatigue is the largest improvement I’ve noticed since receiving injections. I’ve only had the loading doses, but my energy levels seem what they were when I was younger, which is a blessing (fingers crossed insurance stays fine). I’m not much of a napper because I’m border line insomniac and I can’t afford getting in bed and tossing and turning because I slept during the day, but what I’ve been able to do is workout (pool therapy, etc.) and feeling better (maybe even stronger!) after each session. Before Spinraza I felt weak after I worked out, and weak when I didn’t work out. It was a lose-lose. Things are starting to turn, however – oh so slowly, but better than nothing.

• kevin-schaefer

July 10, 2018 at 2:44 pm

Thanks for posting Alex! And I appreciate the feedback.

Yeah I feel like my energy levels are closer to what they were when I was a kid as well. It’s exciting to see! And yeah, I also do water therapy and that helps me tremendously. Glad it works for you as well.