SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 27 of #31DaysofSMA: Confidence Is Key to Living With SMA

• Day 27 of #31DaysofSMA: Confidence Is Key to Living With SMA

Posted by jessie-madrigal-fletcher on August 29, 2022 at 6:37 pm

Maxwell McKnight is 18 and has spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) type 2.

Throughout his life, Maxwell has faced many challenges. He is fortunate to have a wonderful group of supportive friends and family. Through friendships, family, and my relationship, Maxwell has learned to just be himself and that he is enough.

“Without many of these relationships, a lot I have achieved wouldn’t have been as easy.”

Maxwell, we wish you all the luck in the world in everything you set out to do!

Now back to our SMA community, do you find it easy, or tricky, to be “just yourself”? Do you define yourself as confident?

Click here to read the rest of Maxwell’s story and find out more about his life with SMA.

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign will publish one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

August 29, 2022 at 9:14 pm

It’s taken me a long time to learn to be myself. Like Maxwell I too wish I had been more outgoing when I was younger. It’s hard when you’re just trying to fit in. I’m glad he’s found the confidence to be himself and I too wish him the best with his ambitious endeavors.

• alyssa-silva

August 30, 2022 at 9:56 am

I’d say my confidence, as well as my relationship, with myself ebbs and flows. I’m trying to get better about it. I put a lot of pressure on myself because I have a lot of goals and plans, but when SMA gets in the way, I beat myself up sometimes. Some days are better than others, and I’m definitely learning and growing as I get older.