SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 31 of #31DaysofSMA: How to Become Successful and Independent

• Day 31 of #31DaysofSMA: How to Become Successful and Independent

Posted by kevin-schaefer on September 1, 2022 at 12:00 pm

Here is our final 31 days story of 2022! Thanks to all of our fantastic contributors this year.

Drew Richard shares his experiences with working and living independently and provides tips for others in the community. He attributes his determination and skills to his parents, who always believed in him.

Here’s an excerpt, “Lastly, prepare to face many hurdles. Building a care team is not something that can magically happen overnight, and it is inevitable that you will end up hiring people who don’t work out. Be patient with this process and act with compassion, empathy, and optimism, even in the most difficult times, and you will surely overcome all the obstacles in front of you.”

Do you have any takeaways from Drew’s story? Thanks for reading!

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign will publish one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

crissyemery replied 1 year ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • deann-r

September 1, 2022 at 1:16 pm

Another fabulous month full of insightful stories. Drew makes some great suggestions. Not everyone thinks about acquiring marketable skills, but it’s something certainly beneficial. With programs that help pay for schooling there’s really no excuse not to. I’m glad he points out there will be obstacles and challenges. For me that’s all part of the journey.

• alyssa-silva

September 1, 2022 at 1:31 pm

It was such a pleasure reading everyone’s stories this August! Drew’s personal story and advice were a great way to close out the month. I definitely need to have more patience when it comes to building a solid care team. Good, hardworking caregivers aren’t easy to find these days.

• crissyemery

March 15, 2023 at 8:34 am

thanks for this article!