SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do the holidays stress you out?

• Do the holidays stress you out?

Posted by alyssa-silva on November 20, 2023 at 11:29 am

The holidays can bring about lots of emotions. I do love Christmas (Thanksgiving, you’re okay, too), but there’s often some stress attached to this season. Between traveling, inaccessible homes, fatigue, and worrying about others being sick, this time of year can sometimes feel overwhelming. It can also feel joyous too. 

I read this column recently from someone with Pulmonary Fibrosis about the stressors he experiences at this time of year, too. Though we have different diagnoses, I could relate to it. 

What about you? Do the holidays stress you out?

alyssa-silva replied 5 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • anna

November 21, 2023 at 3:52 am

At the ripe old age of 37, I’ve already made a list of tested accessible destinations, so this isn’t a problem anymore. Fatigue forms such an integral part of my routine that it’s not a cause of stress either. I know I’ll get tired, then rested, then tired again and so on. In general, anything that can be solved with meticulous planning doesn’t stress me out. The only thing that worries me is catching a virus because it’s out of my control and that can be really disturbing for a control freak like me!

• alyssa-silva

November 22, 2023 at 10:02 am

Catching a virus is my biggest worry too Anna. Yes, there are other frustrations but I find them manageable. Like you said, getting sick is out of my control. It can’t be managed. Do you find that you’re more hesitant to partake in holiday festivities because of this?

• anna

November 23, 2023 at 5:26 am

Certainly. It seems like the pandemic brought more restrictions to my life, as if the old ones weren’t enough. Sometimes I feel inclined to just go back to living my life the way I used to and whatever happens, happens…

• alyssa-silva

November 27, 2023 at 9:40 am

I’m getting to that point, too. I can’t live like this forever. But because I’ve been living in a bubble for three years, I’m finding it hard to break through it. Baby steps, I guess. Eventually, things will feel right again.