SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do you give unsolicited advice for disability issues?

• Do you give unsolicited advice for disability issues?

Posted by deann-r on March 24, 2023 at 9:33 am

My niece recently broke her wrist while snowboarding. Having broken my elbow myself several years prior (not snowboarding) I could give her all kinds of advice. Instead, I sent her a stuffed version of the Minnesota Wild mascot with a note saying that she better leave the stunts to Nordy.

A few weeks into her healing my sister asked if I could give my niece some advice on typing. For a class, she’s interning at the local paper and was contemplating quitting the internship because it’s difficult typing with a broken arm.

No 18-year-old wants to be told what to do. Nevertheless, I texted her asking if she’d discovered the on-screen keyboard yet. I told her that’s how I won an essay contest when my arm was in a cast. In typical teenage fashion, she never responded.

This past weekend though she asked Gramsil (her endearing term for grandma) if she’s seen her published article. That leads me to believe she didn’t give up.

I’m not sure if my advice was helpful or not, but I’m glad I put it out there.

Do you give unsolicited advice, particularly when it’s something disability-related? If so, how do you go about it and how is it received? If not, is there a reason?

anna replied 1 year, 1 month ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • anna

March 27, 2023 at 6:48 am

Sure! I never miss a chance to impart my profound wisdom! Seriously though, if you have information or advice that you think can be helpful, why not offer it? Unless of course the person receiving the advice is in denial, in which case it’s best to back up. Insisting will only make things worse.