SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do you have tattoos?

• Do you have tattoos?

Posted by alyssa-silva on September 18, 2023 at 6:31 pm

I think I’ve finally worked up the courage to get a tattoo. My sister-in-law’s mother and I have been saying we’re going to get one together for years. But I’ve been too chicken. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to commit to it for life, ya know? 

Nevertheless, I’m ready now. What was your experience like getting a tattoo? My biggest concern is how long it takes to get the tattoo because I get uncomfortable in my wheelchair and know I won’t be able to stop and reposition myself during it. 

For reference, I’m getting two small paw prints. (I haven’t decided exactly where yet.) I’m assuming it won’t take long, but again, I really don’t know anything about this!

alyssa-silva replied 6 months, 1 week ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • danialberk

October 23, 2023 at 8:56 am

Did you end up getting that tattoo you were thinking about? If you did, where on your body did you get it done? And how was the pain – were you able to handle it okay?

I always wanted a tattoo but never had the courage. During covid, I decided to get a tattoo of my cat who passed away. It was a picture of her face on my arm. After that, it was like I got addicted to tattoos. I ended up getting three more that were all cat-themed, things like paws and faces. All the tattoos were to remember my cats that died. Last month, in early September, I got the angel number 1212 tattooed on my chest (a very small tattoo). That number is special to me. I’m still thinking about getting half a moon and half a sun tattoo too.

Mostly, I was concerned about the pain. The only tattoo that really hurt was the one on my lower chest with an angel number. That one stung quite a bit. But the others weren’t too bad with the pain. I think the chest area is just more sensitive skin. So, my first one was definitely the worst as far as the pain goes. After that, I was able to handle the rest better since I knew what to expect.

• alyssa-silva

October 23, 2023 at 9:54 am

Hey! I haven’t gotten a tattoo yet. I was going to go with a family member for my birthday which is actually tomorrow, but sadly there was a death in our family over the weekend so I’m not going anymore. When the timing is right that’s when I’ll go.

I want to memorialize my pets too which is why I was thinking of doing paw prints. I have stamps of their paws so I was thinking I could shrink them down to put on my body somewhere. They were golden retrievers so the actual size of their giant paws would look funny on my small body lol. An angel number would be cool too. I never thought of that.