SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do you procrastinate with paperwork?

• Do you procrastinate with paperwork?

Posted by deann-r on November 10, 2023 at 9:17 am

I’m staring at two packets that need filling out. One is to retain medical benefits. The other is to get assistance heating my house.

Although I’m grateful for the programs, I find the applications daunting. I’m kind of surprised they’re still paper applications without an online option. The financial portion always stresses me out too. I do my best but I’m always a bit nervous I’ll mess something up.

Do you get assistance filling out paperwork? How do you handle privacy of your information?

Did anyone see the 60 Minutes story on the SSA trying to recover overpayments from years past? Has anything like that ever happened to you? Gotta admit, reignites that fear in me. But, one of the packets is due today so I better get on it.

alyssa-silva replied 5 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

November 10, 2023 at 7:47 pm

I am unable to do anything by hand. So when it comes to filling out packets, I need full assistance. If it’s private information that needs filling out, I’ll try to wait for a family member to help me over a caregiver. Sometimes, I get paranoid with a caregiver doing it, but I have also built a lot of trust with some of them too. So it really depends on the situation and who’s readily available to help me. Unfortunately, sometimes privacy just isn’t an option with SMA.

Are you able to write by hand? What is it you need help with if you don’t mind me asking?