SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Does your service dog wear a vest?

Tagged: 

• Does your service dog wear a vest?

Posted by deann-r on May 7, 2024 at 9:19 pm

My service dog doesn’t like wearing his vest. Horton is my third service dog and boy can he test my patience. All of them acted differently with it on, but the other two were prouder to wear it. This guy acts like the world is about to end.  

Other than having him wear it regularly, any tips on getting him to like wearing a vest?  

I’ll be discussing it with the organization but it’s kind of disheartening when your service dog doesn’t want to be a service dog.

alyssa-silva replied 1 week, 3 days ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

May 10, 2024 at 10:01 am

That is so strange. My service dog was the laziest dog ever, but the second she heard someone getting her vest out, she’d make a beeline over to me. She was always so excited and proud to wear her vest.

What type of behavior is Horton showing? Is he scared? Shy? Uninterested?

One tip I would suggest is treats. Dogs are intrinsically motivated by food. As someone puts on his vest, give him treats continually and get ridiculously excited while telling him he’s a good boy. Try to make it like a big to-do, like this is the greatest thing Horton has ever done.