• Family Traditions

Posted by deann-r on December 20, 2019 at 11:00 am

As the holidays approach it’s fun to look back at family traditions and how they evolve throughout the years. Although not everyone celebrates Christmas as my family does, I’m sure there are family traditions of some sort. My family is small, so our traditions are fairly low key.

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas we usually take a weekend to do some holiday baking. If you haven’t checked out my holiday baking video from last year, you can see our typical cookie menu there. This year we tried a new one, peppermint patties. Jury is still out. It was easy enough though. Mom mixed up the dough and formed the balls. I rolled them in sugar and flattened them with a fork. These didn’t even require an oven. The amount of sugar in them is insane, so if you’re diabetic stay away! Do you have a favorite cookie recipe?

Having a real tree is a distant memory. I remember what a challenge it was for Dad to spend money to purchase a tree that would only be displayed for a couple weeks. Majority rules, so he’d usually have to bite the bullet. One year though he decided to chop down a tree from our own backyard instead of spending the money on one from a tree farm. My dad has since passed away, and us kids are grown, so artificial is the way we go now. More eco-friendly too I suppose. I didn’t put up a tree this year. Instead I found one of those nostalgic ceramic trees like Gramma had. Perfect for me. My sister found a bunch of fishing decoys Dad had used and collected, so we made them into ornaments. We decorated my mom’s pencil tree with them. Do you do a real tree?

Our newest tradition includes pizza and a movie on Christmas Eve. That way Mom doesn’t have to cook and we can all do an activity together. A couple years ago we saw Jumanji, so the sequel is on tap for this year. Since my sister’s family goes to her in-laws on Christmas it’s usually just Mom and myself. What are your traditions? Do you have any new ones?

On a side note, the moderators here at SMA News Today will be on holiday break from the 21st through January 1st. Although we’ll be checking in from time to time we may not be posting as much or be as responsive. Thanks for understanding. I hope everyone who celebrates has a wonderful Christmas! We’ll see you in 2020.

survivinglife replied 4 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

December 20, 2019 at 3:06 pm

I love learning more about people’s Christmas traditions, so thanks for sharing!

I come from a big family which can be both good and bad haha. They’re loud and boisterous and so much fun to be around, so we always have a great time whenever we’re all together. It’s always entertaining to bring new friends and significant others to family gatherings because they always seem to get a little shell-shocked. That being said, I’m exhausted by the end of the day!

Christmas Eve is spent with my mom’s side, and we’re usually out past midnight. (As a little girl, I’d get so excited hoping to see Santa on my way home hahaha.)

Fortunately, we literally just go next door to my cousin’s house on Christmas day, so that’s a bit more relaxing. I usually stay in my pajamas too because I’m lazy! All in all, it’s a 24-hour whirlwind but I wouldn’t have it any other way. 🙂

Merry Christmas!

• deann-r

December 22, 2019 at 9:12 am

Sounds like fun Alyssa! Have a Merry Christmas!

• survivinglife

December 24, 2019 at 12:32 pm

Merry Christmas! I’m in the middle