SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Getting Bloodwork and Hoping for Results

• Getting Bloodwork and Hoping for Results

Posted by alyssa-silva on August 13, 2020 at 11:00 am

Have you ever hoped for something in your bloodwork to come back abnormal?

I know this sounds so twisted. But my health issues this year are really starting to take a toll both physically and mentally. (Honestly, it’s more mental than physical at this point.) And no one can seem to get to the bottom of why.

I won’t get into too many details, especially since I have already written about it, but my intestinal spasms have persisted. Hydration and CBD oil have helped, but I’m still having difficulty sitting up as applying pressure on my intestines is VERY uncomfortable. I don’t know what’s wrong. My doctors don’t know what is wrong. So, I asked for some labs done yesterday.

Everything came back perfect. Of course, that’s a good thing! But something is obviously wrong with me so I was hoping the bloodwork would give us some answers, or at least a general direction of what to explore next. Anything to get some clues.

Back to the drawing board, I guess. It’s times like these when I feel very much alone, so I’m just reaching out for some solace. Do you ever have to deal with mysterious symptoms and perplexed doctors? What the heck, SMA.

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

August 13, 2020 at 11:27 am

My doctor always want labs and I hate it because I’m such a hard draw. I think he’s surprise when they come back normal.

Hugs! Wish we had answers for you. I assume they checked your gallbladder? From what I know those of us with SMA can have difficulty digesting fats and proteins. What kind of diet do you have? I don’t remember, do you have a feeding tube? I had to switch formulas because it didn’t agree with my system.

Hope you find answers. In the meantime take it easy.

• alyssa-silva

August 13, 2020 at 11:48 am

Yeah, I hear ya. I got stabbed several times yesterday, but because I already had to get labs for Spinraza I asked for a GI workup as well to kill two birds with one stone haha.

They did a bunch of labs for my gallbladder and vitamin levels. We have a family history of gallbladder disease, so that was a concern. But everything came back FLAWLESS. I was so surprised, too, because my diet has been so bad this year as a result of these issues. I thought for sure my vitamin levels would be off, but nope.

I don’t have a feeding tube. I was actually just reading about diet and SMA this morning and thinking I should introduce more carbs to my diet. Thinking maybe I take in too many fats which I know is bad. I do eat a lot of protein, too. Didn’t realize that was hard to digest as well. On top of my spasms, I’ve also dealt with GERD for most of my life, so everything is such a fine balance when it comes to food!

Thanks for weighing in, DeAnn. *hugs*