SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Getting Used to a New Sling

• Getting Used to a New Sling

Posted by deann-r on April 11, 2019 at 11:14 am

If you’ve watched my latest vlog you know I’ve gotten a new ceiling lift
    https://smanewstoday.com/forums/forums/topic/dose-of-deann-episode-32-lifts-and-transfers/ Of course with that I got new slings that I’m trying my hardest to get used to. First, do any of you make modifications to your slings? The straps have so many unnecessary loops I’m tempted to cut the extra ones off. On the one they sent I’m tempted to cut a hole in it since they obviously didn’t listen to my needs. Also I’m not a fan of the U-shaped slings that crisscross under your legs. Do you guys remove your slings or leave them under you? I ended up buying the more hammock style I prefer from Ebay. It’s not perfect, but it’s better. Those styles I end up just leaving under me. I do have to use the u-shaped one for showers and at other times. Is there a trick to getting them under you while seated? If it’s not under me enough I end up sliding practically through it. I’ve asked before, but if you have a favorite sling style please share your links. I’ll be shopping around I’m afraid.

Dose of DeAnn Episode 32: Lifts and Transfers

deann-r replied 4 years, 12 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

April 11, 2019 at 1:38 pm

I actually don’t make any modifications to mine. Personally, I feel more secure with the extra straps, and I don’t mind the crisscrossed leg straps. But I can see where they might be irritating.

I have two slings, one to get me from my chair to my bed (and vice-versa), and another to get from my chair to my bathroom seat. The chair-to-bed sling is the hammock style one you’re referring to.

• bob-heitzman

April 25, 2019 at 1:19 pm

I have used a U sling for several years. I sill have good trunk control so I use one’s without head support. My source Best Care LLC. I use the one they call Hoyer Replacement (not sure why.)

Note that “padded” slings add some stiffening to the sling fabric so it is easy to manage, it isn’t padded for the patient. The stiffer fabric makes it easier to don the sling when you are seated in a chair – I remove the sling once transferred.

Modifying slings: I wouldn’t.

You probably already know this but the loop choices allow you to be almost upright (outer most loop) to near supine.

Sliding through: The sling is not placed low enough on your body, the bottom of the back of the sling should be touching the seat (if supine in bed probably at the tail bone.)

I can sit up w/o support so I have the caregiver get me upright on the edge of the bed. From this position or while seated in a chair, the caregiver can lift your thigh and slip the sling under your thigh. If possible slide forwards a bit in the chair to make it easier to get the sling under your thigh.

PS On the Best Care LLC site there are some photos of someone using the Hoyer sling. I noticed a few errors: I think the sling is a size too large, on mine the sling fabric wraps to about mid-thigh; the sling is too high on her body and she is partially “sliding through”; they didn’t place all the straps on a hook, while the sling still works there might be an issue if the “slide through” feeling happens – you may actually slide through!

I’d suggest you give the “hoyer” sling, with head support, from Best Care LLC.  I buy mine through phc-online. Filter by brand, last page. They call it BestCare Padded U Sling with Head Support.

• bob-heitzman

April 25, 2019 at 1:26 pm

Regarding ceiling lifts: There are other options besides the ceiling mounted track. Here is a good review of some alternative configurations. These either use free standing frames or attach to the walls instead of the ceiling. Ceiling mounts are probably the most expensive way to go because of the installation. The ceiling track is nice if you have a wider area to cover, but the alternatives work well for overbed.

I use a “pressure fit” two pole (I use the ens from Sierra Medical with a C300 lift motor) over my bed. There is an issue with a pole in the middle of the room, but you get used to it.

I used to have a DIY lift in my bathroom. I used U-Strunt available at Home Depot and a trolly and shelf brackets from McMaster. I placed plywood backing plates on opposite walls and attached the brackets in the proper position.

DIY Ceiling Lift Track

• bob-heitzman

April 25, 2019 at 1:40 pm

Looks like phot didn’t work, here’s a link.

• deann-r

May 1, 2019 at 9:38 pm

Thanks for the input. I’ll definitely keep those suggestions in mind on my quest to find the perfect sling.