• Sponsored Post

Adapting to Life Outside Our Home With SMA

I once heard a joke that a woman’s mind is like an Internet browser that has 1000 tabs open and running at once. I laughed at the time, but came to realize that if I didn’t actually feel like this before hearing the short acronym “SMA,” I most certainly do now.

I spend much of my time pre-planning and thinking of possible problems that we may run into because of the kids’ diagnoses. I think many other SMA parents do this as well. Prior to our lives with SMA, we didn’t realize just how inaccessible the world is to those who are differently-abled.

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 months ago by Krystal.

• Author
        Kevin Schaefer
        Keymaster

Happy Wednesday everyone!

Check out our latest sponsored post here: https://smanewstoday.com/2019/04/01/growing-our-family-after-sma-sponsored-post/. Dany has written several guest columns in the past, and this one in particular shines light on a really important topic.

I’m the youngest in my family, and the only one who has SMA. However, I know other families whose oldest child is the one who has it. It’s an incredibly difficult decision to make for parents who want to grow their families, and I appreciate Dany’s honesty and insight here. I strongly encourage any SMA parent to read this post.

Has anyone else here been in this situation? Do you have any questions about having more kids when one has SMA? I’ll see if I can get some parents to chime in here.

Krystal
        Participant

Thanks for sharing this post. I am somewhat in this situation. My daughter is 19-months-old, with Type 2. My son is 7 weeks old, and fortunately, he is a non-carrier. We did not know my daughter had SMA until during my second pregnancy. I had always thought of having 4 children, but my husband wanted only 2. Before my daughter’s diagnosis, he had a change of heart, and had been entertaining the idea of 3 kiddos. With SMA in the picture, it has definitely put a halt in our family size. We are still discussing it, but we are leaning towards trying for a third baby in the far far future. It all depends on where we are at in life. It depends on how demonic both of our babies will become (I mean that in a very loving and nurturing way haha!), and if we feel complete with our two or if we will be complete with three.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.