SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ A Guide for Going to School When You Have SMA

• A Guide for Going to School When You Have SMA

Posted by kevin-schaefer on August 24, 2018 at 8:00 am

I’ve shared this post before, but I wanted to repost it in light of school starting back up again. This is a social clip I wrote a while back about going to school when you or your child has SMA: https://smanewstoday.com/2017/09/14/5-tips-for-going-to-school-when-you-have-sma/?amp.

It can be a daunting experience, and I hope that you can find some comfort after reading these tips. While there were certainly plenty of loopholes my parents and I had to work through when I was growing up, I still had a great public school experience. I mean yeah middle school was filled with plenty of awkwardness and angst, but that’s the case for anyone.

More often than not, my teachers and peers were more than willing to meet my accommodations and help me have a positive experience. It takes tremendous courage to let your kid spread their wings, but trust me when I say that they’ll thank you for it, and you’ll be glad. Sending them to school is a big step, but you can do it.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.