SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Having an adult aid vs. getting friends to help you

• Having an adult aid vs. getting friends to help you

Posted by kevin-schaefer on January 11, 2018 at 12:25 pm

Hello all. Hope everyone is having a great week.

I wanted to pose a question regarding getting assistance at school. Growing up, I had an adult aid with me in school. It wasn’t until I got to college that I just had friends help me and had student note-takers in my classes. However, I know some SMA individuals prefer to only have friends help them and not hire an adult aid.

I’m curious to hear your perspectives on this. Do you feel more independent without a full-time aid at school? Or do you like having that help? Feel free to share your experiences.

kevin-schaefer replied 6 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

April 5, 2018 at 9:51 am

It’s really a personal choice.  I had an agency in college that provided an aid for personal cares.  I had friends help out with small stuff.  Seemed to work well for me.

• kevin-schaefer

April 8, 2018 at 11:51 am

Yeah definitely. The biggest thing for me was just planning out each day in advance to make sure I had assistance when I needed it. If I knew I’d be on campus for most of the day, I’d make plans in advance to get lunch with someone and to help me to class if I needed it. The best advice I can give to younger people with disabilities is to figure out what works for them, and to be proactive about getting help. People are more than willing to provide assistance, but you have to be the one to ask for it.