SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA How Do You Cope with Fatigue?

• How Do You Cope with Fatigue?

Posted by deann-r on December 2, 2022 at 9:00 am

Fatigue can manifest in different ways. For example, at my recent physical therapy assessment, I mentioned how it’s difficult to raise my head back up more than usual. The therapist in turn asked how often I give my neck a break by resting on the headrest.

Basically, I never do. Since I’m a go go go type of person, I rarely take breaks. Most likely those muscles are getting fatigued. So, do I take breaks before fatigue sets in or wait for the fatigue and then take breaks? She suggested periodically taking breaks to prevent it.

Do you deal with fatigue? How does it manifest for you? In what ways do you manage it?

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 4 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

December 5, 2022 at 7:17 am

Fatigue should be my middle name. I can’t say I manage it well. I truly don’t know why I’m so drained all the time, so I don’t know how to manage it properly. Obviously, just existing with SMA can cause fatigue. But there are probably other factors for me, too. I don’t usually get sleepy, per se. It’s more like my arms feel like they turn to brick and it gets harder for me to project my voice. I also get a little brain foggy.

I’ve been more mindful this year of taking breaks which helps. But I’m afraid if I rest for too long, I’ll lose the little strength I have. It’s a fine line I’m always trying to balance.