SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA How Do You Feel About Disability Perks?

• How Do You Feel About Disability Perks?

Posted by deann-r on January 13, 2023 at 10:00 am

We all know disability perks are a thing. From early access to prime parking and even discounts. What kind of disability perks have you encountered? Do you expect them?

Back in 2004, I acquired my first service dog and the city waived the annual license fee as a courtesy of it being a service dog. Fast forward several years later I renew the license as usual. To my astonishment, they didn’t waive the fee. Apparently too many people claim their dog is a service dog, so they discontinued their generosity. I’m frustrated by this on so many levels. Mainly because I pay 50 cents (disability perk) every four years for my license, and a state-issued ID, yet I pay $20 every year for my dog’s license. If I did the math right his license is 160 times more expensive than mine. Not to mention my irritation at how many people claim to have service dogs when they probably don’t just to get the perk. Now people who should benefit don’t.

On one hand, maybe disability perks serve as an injustice. Allowing individuals special accommodations when they’re not necessary. On the other hand, having a disability is difficult. If something like disability perks eases the burden, take advantage of them. How do you feel about disability perks? Every year I pay the $20 with a pit in my stomach because it just doesn’t feel right.

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 3 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

January 16, 2023 at 10:12 am

This reminds me of what happened in Disney. I used to be able to get a special pass to cut the wait times for the rides. While it was considered a perk, it was also a necessity. I never last too long in the parks with my chronic pain and fatigue. Cutting the lines gave me an opportunity to experience the rides.

Of course, non-disabled people caught on to this and would rent wheelchairs to fake a disability. So Disney eventually shut this down. Ridiculous.

Honestly, life is complicated and challenging enough for me. I’ll take the perks when I can.