SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Disability in Media Introducing This New Forum

• Introducing This New Forum

Posted by kevin-schaefer on January 11, 2019 at 1:40 pm

Hey everyone, welcome to the new “Disability in Media” forum!

If you’ve read my columns or seen my posts here, you know that I’m very interested in how disability and people with disabilities are portrayed in mainstream media. This forum is designed for us to discuss books, tv shows, movies and music that in some way explore some aspect of disability. In particular, I’d love for us to look at examples of media written and/or produced by artists with disabilities.

We’ll be starting soon with a discussion on the popular memoir “Laughing At My Nightmare,” by Shane Burcaw. Shane is an author and nonprofit founder who has SMA, and I’ve interviewed him on the podcast before: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/sma-news-perspectives/id1311516323?mt=2&i=1000422425736. Myself and the other moderators are spearheading this discussion, but anyone here is more than welcome to join it.

I’m really excited for this forum, and if anyone has any topic ideas or media examples they’d like to discuss, please share.

Thanks everyone and have a great weekend!

nell-buckelew replied 5 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ryan-berhar-2

January 11, 2019 at 9:44 pm

Looking forward to it.

• nell-buckelew

January 12, 2019 at 1:36 am

That’s really great.