SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA irony dog with neurological condition

• irony dog with neurological condition

Posted by jim-schneider on July 18, 2023 at 12:30 pm

I had to put my 10 year old Lab to sleep yesterday. She has been my constant companion and comforter and I will miss her greatly. When I was hurting or just not feeling well She was always there for me laying alongside my wheelchair and keeping watch. The irony in all this is a couple years ago she developed a neurological condition where her brain didn’t know the position of her legs. It made for challenges but like me she got along ok. But two days ago when she tried to stand her rear legs failed her and she fell which damaged her front shoulder. In terrible pain and unable to stand or walk on her own we were forced to put her to sleep. As an old guy with a neurological condition who can’t stand or walk on my own I guess I should feel lucky but I don’t and I will miss her every day.

deann-r replied 10 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

July 18, 2023 at 7:10 pm

Oh Jim, I’m so sorry to hear that. Losing a pet can be incredibly hard. I lost my service dog four months ago and am still grieving her passing. We got a puppy right before she passed which helped, but the void in my heart is still there. Our dogs are irreplaceable. I hope you and your family find peace in the coming days. Sounds like you had one amazing dog.

• deann-r

July 19, 2023 at 8:59 am

Hugs to you. It’s never easy losing our faithful friends. They get to know us so well. Even the click of our chairs. Sounds like you had a strong bond. Cherish the good memories.