Tagged: 

• It’s here…

Posted by daniela-s on June 24, 2022 at 12:47 am

Hi everyone, after dodging covid for 2+ yrs it has finally reached my home. My brother tested positive this evening.  We’ve been hanging out a lot now that we’re on summer vacation (watching movies, etc) which makes me worried I’ll be positive. So far my parents and I haven’t shown any symptoms and my brother is isolating in his room. We’re all wearing masks and trying to disinfect as much as possible. I will be contacting my dr tomorrow to let him know I’ve been exposed. Have any of you had covid? Is there anything you recommend I do?

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 8 months ago 5 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • deann-r

June 24, 2022 at 9:22 am

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you’re doing everything right. Fingers crossed if you get it it’ll be mild like mine was. Just keep on top of any breathing treatments. You can ask your doctor about Paxlovid or monoclonal antibody treatments if you do come down with it. I don’t have experience with either but know that seems to be an early treatment option to keep it from becoming severe. Good luck! Maybe you can avoid it altogether.

• daniela-s

June 24, 2022 at 12:54 pm

Thank you! I’m glad you experienced mild symptoms and felt better. Apparently he was exposed to it since Sunday and the rest of us haven’t shown any symptoms so fingers crossed it remains that way and it’s just him. I’ll definitely stay on top of my breaking treatments

• alyssa-silva

June 24, 2022 at 10:35 am

Confirming what DeAnn said. We had a Covid scare in the house last month and immediately called my doctor. Just stay vigilant and if you start to feel ANY symptoms (no matter how severe), tell your doctor asap. The sooner they catch your symptoms the sooner they can give you something to treat it. I guess treatments for Covid are only effective if you take them within 5 days of the onset of the symptoms.

• alyssa-silva

June 24, 2022 at 10:39 am

Also, I’m sure you’re stressed but just remember that doctors know so much more about Covid than they did two years ago! Of course, any infection is dangerous to us but we’re much more equipped to handle this virus than we were at the start of the pandemic. I hope you and your family stay healthy and your brother gets better soon. You’re doing all the right things. 🙂

• daniela-s

June 24, 2022 at 12:57 pm

Thank you! I just read your post. I’m glad it was just a scare for you. Hopefully it is the same here. Aw thank you, I really needed that. I get anxious very easily and my mind was already spiraling, but you’re right. They have a lot more experience now and can offer some treatment options.

• angela-j

June 24, 2022 at 3:47 pm

Hello there. I read your post and I wanted to share my experience. In late November/early December of 2021 (can’t remember which one), I tested positive for covid after my sister and parents had gotten sick from it. Miraculously, I never got any symptoms whatsoever, except for maybe some sniffles, which could also have been from the cold weather. It was very scary for me and my family when they got sick, though, because I was afraid I’d get very sick, so I understand how you feel. I recently got vaccinated on June 13. I waited awhile because I was scared how my body would react, but I finally got it because I knew I’d be protected, and I was also tired of not being able to do things I wanted to because of my parents telling me I’m not vaccinated. I still have to get my second shot, but at least I’m somewhat protected now. Anyways, I hope you and your parents stay safe and healthy, or at least don’t get too sick, and hopefully your brother recovers soon. ????????

• daniela-s

June 26, 2022 at 5:47 pm

Thank you so much! I hope so too. I’m glad you hardly experienced symptoms and decided to get vaccinated 🙂

• susana-m

August 1, 2022 at 6:39 pm

We were in the clear, one week before my scheduled vaccination when my PCA gave me – us – Covid.

I was shocked at the utter lack of information or real medical guidance available at the time. Keep in mind this was over a year ago in February 2021. We monitored our oxygen levels, drank fluids and slept a lot. It was like being kidnapped and held hostage by the Covid Apocalypse.

We recovered but we’re more sensitive to heat, short of breath if we do too much, and Covid brain is a frustratingly real thing.

Was starting to think I was the only SMA who got sick. Notice any other long term symptoms?

• alyssa-silva

August 3, 2022 at 10:06 am

I’m so sorry to hear you got it from a PCA, Susana. That’s one of my biggest fears with the pandemic. I haven’t had Covid so I can’t speak to the long-term symptoms. I do know several members here have already had it though.