• Posted by deann-r on September 16, 2020 at 7:00 am

I’ve known about a JACO Robotic Arm for almost 3 years. It never appealed to me because I like doing things myself. Plus I had a service dog. When I lost Roy, I debated getting a service dog or a JACO. After a lot of contemplation I decided to seek both because they’ll complement each other. As with everything though it’s a process.

First I was told insurance might cover a JACO. Then I was told they wouldn’t. Now they might I guess, so I set up a demo. My post on Friday talks about how stressful it’s been getting everything organized. I have to say it was so worth the hassle. Keep your eyes out for an upcoming vlog on the trial.

After getting the arm attached to the trial chair I transferred into it. Of course it’s impossible to get 100% comfortable in a chair that’s not your own. It worked though. The Kinova rep walked me through all of the functions of the arm and my mind instantly thought of 110 ways I can use this thing. Not being a gamer I struggled slightly remembering what all the functions did, but I was assured I’d get the hang of it. I’m more concerned about getting used to front wheel drive on the wheelchair.

Before I knew it an hour and a half had flown by, sorry if I made you late for your next appointments guys. But it was really cool discovering I could open the fridge and grab something from the top shelf! What I realized is that with this device I’ll actually be able to do more on my own. I’m sure there are applications I’m not even thinking of.

Next is the insurance process. We’ll see how that goes. You might just get your Cyborg army yet Kevin! Have you tried a JACO?

deann-r replied 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • samantha83

September 16, 2020 at 6:05 pm

I attempted to get a demo set up, but haven’t heard back from the company yet. How did you get it set up?

• deann-r

September 17, 2020 at 6:18 pm

Samantha, I’ll get back to you with the contact info I have when I get back home next week.

• deann-r

September 21, 2020 at 11:26 am

My contact for Kinova is Larbi Bellakra [email protected] their website is kinovarobotics.com