SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Learning To Deal With My Pulmonary Function Tests

• deann-r

March 6, 2019 at 9:02 am

I was fortunate to have a fantastic tech the first time I did a PFT.  She explained everything as we went along so I kind of knew what to expect.  Since I’m new to this, other than dropping that one test you mentioned, have you noticed other changes with testing or advancement in technology throughout the years?  What changes in your results have you seen from when you started if you don’t mind my asking?  They always want to know my height & weight.  I guesstimate, do you know yours or do you guess as well?

• kevin-schaefer

March 6, 2019 at 9:38 am

I always guess my height and weight, especially my height. My weight is a little easier to determine because we know the weight of my chair. I can drive onto a scale and subtract the weight of the chair. Height on the other hand is more difficult to determine, given that my contractures limit how much I can stretch my arms and legs. I just guess.

In terms of how my pulmonary levels have developed over the years, I don’t have exact numbers, but I know they’re higher than they used to be. I’m able to do all of the tests well, and I’m not totally exhausted by the time I’m done. My pneumonia last year set me back for a while, but I eventually bounced back.