SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Disability in Media Lincoln Rhyme: Quadriplegic Private Investigator

• Lincoln Rhyme: Quadriplegic Private Investigator

Posted by kevin-schaefer on June 10, 2019 at 11:00 am

Hey everyone, hope you all had a great weekend.

I was just wondering if anyone here is familiar with the Lincoln Rhyme novels by Jeffery Deaver. These books are pulp detective novels, and the main character in them is a quadriplegic. The first one, The Bone Collector, was made into a 1999 movie with Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. The series is also getting a TV show this fall.

Lincoln Rhyme is one of my favorite disabled characters in fiction. He’s cool, smart, and his disability isn’t the only component of his stories. It’s just one part of his identity. Plus, Deaver is a great guy. My Dad used to deliver to him on his old UPS route. I also went to his last book signing a few weeks ago.

Any fans of this series here? Does anyone have any other book recommendations?

kevin-schaefer replied 4 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • survivinglife

June 10, 2019 at 4:53 pm

I’ve never heard of the series before, but it sounds really cool!

Have you heard of The Silent Gift by Micheal Landon Jr. and Cindy Kelly? Its about a mom who has a little boy that is deaf and mute yet he can receive messages from God through numbers that point to a specific verse in the Bible. Its really moving. I’ve read it 5 or 6 times and cried multiple times each time.

• kevin-schaefer

June 11, 2019 at 9:56 am

Sounds great! I’ll check it out.

• halsey-blocher

June 10, 2019 at 9:37 pm

That sounds like something I would like! Crystal, the one you mentioned also sounds interesting! I’ll have to check both of them out.