• Sponsored Post

Planes, Trains, & Accessible Travel With SMA

Talk to your doctor to determine if you or your child is fit to travel.

Traveling with a child is never easy. Traveling with a child in a wheelchair is an extra challenge. The first time Leah flew on an airplane, she was six months old, almost a year before she was diagnosed. We have always been a traveling family and once she was diagnosed, we were both hopeful and determined that it wouldn’t hold us back.

I have always flown with Leah by myself, just the two of us. Call me crazy; it’s OK, I am. There are some things we have learned that have made it so much easier for us.

• This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan Berhar 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
       Brianna Albers 
      Keymaster

Happy Tuesday, everyone! My latest column went up yesterday, which is a little more philosophical than usual, maybe because I have time to reflect now that I’m off school. I was thinking about some of the standards I have for myself and how illogical they are. We’re generally harder on ourselves than we are on other people but, in my experience, SMA only heightens my desire for perfection. I don’t like to admit defeat. People in my life are allowed to struggle, and of course, I’m more than happy to support them, but when it comes to my own issues, I’m far less understanding.

I’m sure a lot of this has to do with my training. I spend a significant amount of time thinking about mental health, and specifically how mental illness intersects with disability. I probably overthink things, if I’m being honest. But I like examining my own behavior! I’m always trying to “get better,” especially if it means I’ll be a little kinder to myself.

Is this something you can relate to?

DeAnn R 
      Keymaster

Thanks for sharing your article. I haven’t commented on it yet because I’m having trouble putting my thoughts together. Maybe I’m not getting your point of view but I’m not sure brokenness is something I personally can connect with. In my situation I don’t really consider having SMA as being broken because to me that implies needing fixing and in my opinion there’s no real fix to it. Cheesy metaphor coming up…sometimes I see everyone else as a Ferrari and I’m just a jalopy needing a lot of work. Still, as long as the engine is running I’m not broken. To keep running a lot more maintenance is required, even then I don’t always run smoothly, occasionally sputtering along. I can get dressed up with all the bells and whistles but I’ll never be that Ferrari. Here’s the thing, even a Ferrari needs work to keep running and some can be a real mess. Who knows, maybe if I keep up the maintenance I’ll figure out I’m the vintage VW Beetle that’s actually a treasure. If not at least I’m still running.

In your article you ask what happens when the glue dries out. When I notice my glue drying out I add a little water (can be time, patience or any number of things) to thin it out. The hold might not be as strong but it’ll still hold. If I don’t catch it in time there’s no harm in borrowing some glue until you can replenish your supply.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  DeAnn R.
         Ryan Berhar 
        Keymaster

DeAnn, you make a super interesting point here. I’m going to ponder this for a while and comment later.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2019 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending
    or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account

Copyright © 2017-2019 All rights reserved.