• Making New Friends

Posted by alyssa-silva on January 5, 2022 at 11:09 am

Starting off with the elephant in the room… making friends is HARD. I love that we have these forums and social media to make friends online. Truthfully, they have been my saving grace in the last 2 years. But I’m also hoping to make some new, local friends this year. My core group of friends are having kids (at the same exact time) and our paths are now leading in different directions. While they’ll still remain my friends, the dynamic will be different so I’d love to hopefully meet some new people. How do you make friends in your area? Have you tried meetups or Bumble BFF or something like that?

alyssa-silva replied 2 years, 3 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ajay

January 6, 2022 at 10:03 am

I don’t have many friends either. Everybody I know I have met through work, school or university. It’s very difficult to make friends. If I go to a bar, unless I make an effort to go and speak to someone, most of the time I will be ignored. There are some people that stare but not many.

I sometimes wonder how I am perceived in their eyes? Do they see a disabled person with severe scoliosis and no movement or do they see me as a person, an individual no different to them?

The fact is, I will always be different but at the same time, I find a lot of people cannot embrace the similarities.

• alyssa-silva

January 6, 2022 at 4:32 pm

I often wonder that too. Unfortunately, society portrays us in a negative light so these are the kinds of things we think about.