SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Motivation Monday: Community Engagement

• Motivation Monday: Community Engagement

Posted by kevin-schaefer on August 19, 2019 at 11:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend.

So for today’s Motivation Monday topic, check out another one of our recent 31 Days of SMA stories. My friend Brian wrote about his daughter’s nonprofit organization Adyn’s Dream, and about community. Brian and his family have become part of several communities as a result of Adyn’s Dream, and they love it.

I’m a firm believer in engaging in community. Throughout my life, I’ve been a member of multiple communities through things like: theatre, writing, comics, church, SMA, and more. Community involvement has made me a better person, and I’ve met some great people as a result.

I want to simply encourage everyone here to become part of a community. Join a group. Start your own. Make connections with people. You never know what kind of people you’ll meet.

Are you a part of any communities? (Besides this online one haha)

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • halsey-blocher

August 20, 2019 at 9:37 pm

Adyn and her family are good friends of ours! Brian actually went to high school with my mom. It was a pretty small town so we find it ironic that they both ended up having kids with SMA.

As for being involved in a community, I’m extremely involved in an organization called Turnstone which I know I’ve mentioned here a few times. The people there are really like family and I look forward to seeing them each week. Despite the fact that they have never heard off SMA before, they are completely understanding of my unique needs, and see all the other aspects of me first. It might be partially due to the fact that they all have disabilities/work with people with disabilities, but I really think it’s just because that’s just the way they are. Having my Turnstone family in my life is tremendously important to me. Don’t know what I would do without them!