SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA Motivation Monday: Mental Health Check-In

• Motivation Monday: Mental Health Check-In

Posted by kevin-schaefer on April 13, 2020 at 11:00 am

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a safe and relaxing weekend.

So I just wanted to do a mental health check-in. Obviously it’s a stressful time, but how’s everyone doing mentally and emotionally? For me, I’m just trying to take things day by day. I’m keeping a lockdown journal, reading, watching movies, calling friends and family, and going outside in our front yard. This past month has definitely been a series of ups and downs, but I’m especially grateful for my health during this pandemic.

Do you have any tips for taking care of your mental health during this time?

alyssa-silva replied 4 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • alyssa-silva

April 13, 2020 at 11:53 am

Taking things one day at a time is my outlook too. Otherwise, I’d fall down a spiral of destructive thinking. Like you, my days and how I’m feeling are up and down. But isn’t everyone feeling like this to an extent? Somehow knowing I’m not alone is oddly comforting.

Two mental health tips that have helped me:

1. Make time for what brings you joy every single day. Before all this went down, I felt as though if I wasn’t being productive, I was failing. Now, I put my joy first and being productive second. (Obviously I still have work that needs to get done, but you get what I mean.) It has made a world of a difference. I picked up illustrating again for the first time in a LONG time, and I truly forgot how much I love doing it. I’ve been illustrating for hours each day now.

2. Keep a gratitude log. Each night before bed, I reflect on one thing I was grateful for that day. This has helped shift my mindset from feeling fearful to gratitude.